Monday, March 27, 2006

Step 1: Getting off my butt

After nearly a year of being in the "really pissed off" phase, I decided I needed to make some changes in my life. I've always been so happy and loved life - seriously... my nickname is sunshine - but the past ten months I have not been myself. I've been going through a lot and not dealing well...

Running has always been so important to me. Most people don't understand, but running and working out was always my escape and time to myself. At first, I couldn't wait to get back into it and even walking again was a small victory. (Heck, touching my toes again was a small victory...) It was frustrating having to start out so slowly and it was still so painful, so sitting on the couch watching TV became much more appealing. Weight was never an issue for me, but since I've had so many doctor appointments I've been getting weighed a lot. I now weigh more than I ever have in my entire life. Not a great feeling, but I couldn't complain since I chose to sit on my butt. In fact, I wasn't sure I ever wanted to run again.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I knew I needed to do something. I've always been a pretty dedicated person but I knew I needed help this time. So, tonight I joined a gym and got a personal trainer. I am publicly stating that I will run the Detroit Marathon, October 2006. There's no turning back now...

No comments: