Monday, June 02, 2008

Dinners, Drama and Drag Queens

Never thought I would say this, but that pretty much sums up my weekend.

Detroit Boys
My beloved Detroit Piston's simply weren't in the game Friday night and we are done for the season. JP and I met up with my college roommate and her soon-to-be husband for, what was suppose to be, a great night. That moment where you know you simply cannot win the game is so depressing. But... we did end up on the jumbo-tron. Not a complete loss, right? :)

Drama, Drama, Drama
JP spent the day downtown at the Red Bull Air Races, having the time of his life! I spent the day:
- Running 10 miles (forgot my running watch at home, but my splits ranged between 9:30 and 10:10 minute miles)
- Post run nap!
- Going to a Mary Kay party (Girls, why do we do this to each other!?!?)

We met up just in time to head back downtown to a fabulous Cuban resturant where we were meeting up with some of my college friends and their significant others. We had the best time! I knew it would be fun, but this was the first time we invited the boys to join our get-together and we weren't quite sure how it would end up. The guys ended up really hitting it off and are actually looking forward to getting together again. The mojitos were running freely, the food was wonderful and the music/atmosphere was hard to beat.

From there, we went to our friend's bar for his birthday party. Enter drama. Long story short, he drank too much, could't stand up by himself, threw up all over the dance floor (and JP) and the guys ended up taking him to the ER. We found out the next day that there was something in his drink. How scary! We're not sure if someone intentionally drugged his drink or if he picked up someone else's drink by mistake, but scary nontheless. You always hear about it happening, but don't really think it will outside of the cheesy after school TV specials.

JP was taking care of him and really sharp, but that ended as soon as he got in the car and I started driving home. The drunkedness took over and he was a mess! Parts were funny... one example (he would so kill me if he knew I was posting this!): When I threw his stained clothes in the washing machine, he wanted to get inside to get clean, too. He said, "Iwant to spin around in it." Say this in your drunk voice, and it's pretty funny.

Finally got him to bed, cleaned up and dragged myself to bed at 5 a.m. YUCK!

Drag Queens
I had to work on Sunday morning for a local Pride festival that my client was sponsoring. So, I had to get up at 8 a.m. Barely able to open my eyes, I got ready and checked in on JP. He wasn't getting off as easily as just sleeping it off. The getting sick part didn't start until the morning. Making sure he was okay, I hurried up to experience my first LGBT speed dating event.

I get to the fesitval and let me tell you, the people watching was great! A few highlights that I saw:
- Lots of leather chaps
- One dude dressed completely in leather with a dog collar and chain. The chain was connected to a bracelet (that matched the dog collar) on his partner's (also decked out in complete leather) wrist
- Another dude dressed in a leather coat, cowboy boots and underwear briefs. NO pants!
- Lots of heels and leg warmers, on guys
- A priest...
- A blue poodle and several dogs in leather get up (for the doggie drag show)
- Drag queens -- thankfully none were more attractive than me. I hate that! :)

I totally wanted to take pictures, but that wouldn't have been very professional of me. I had a great time and had some new experiences. Like, when I was listening to a conversation about coming out to your family and one guy turned to me and asked me how I did it. He felt so embarassed when I told him I was straight.

Going into it, I wasn't sure if I was going to be upset if I got hit on or if I didn't get hit on. Well, it wasn't that big of a deal. I got hit on by a woman, a straight guy and a gay guy. Although, my co-workers there told me it didn't count if I didn't get any numbers. :)

After working all day, I headed out to the movies with JP's sisters and one of his brother's girlfriends for a girls night out. Of course, we went to see the Sex and the City movie. It was actually really good. Afterwards, we headed to a nearby bar for, whatelse, cosmos. If you're on the fence about seeing the movie, go. It's really good and I wasn't even a die hard fan.

By 11 p.m. JP and I were both ready to pass out. (And, I missed my Sunday run. Again. I can't afford to miss any more runs...) He took his nephew downtown for the Air Race and I had a pretty full day. I made an executive decision this morning and slept in a bit. Still sleepy, but I have to power through the day.

Dresses and Running Shoes
Tonight is the last and final round of bridesmaid dress shopping. We're going to look at a few more and then make our decision based on the "keep" pile we've been creating.

Afterwards, 3 miles and hopefully the gym to hit the weights. We'll see what time it is though. Admittedly, just reading the whirlwind of activities has me worn out, but I'm sure I'll find some energy somewhere in my big toe. Just power on, just power on!


Crissy Rae said...

I wish you had some pictures of the drag queen section cuz I can only imagine what that was like! Sounds like quite the eventful time you had there.

P.O.M. said...

So many things to comment on. Don't know where to start.

First - the getting drugged in the drink thang - so scary. But it happens ALL THE TIME. I have been drugged twice. Luckily never ended up in the hospital, although I probably could have. One was by a infamous guy who ended up going to trial for attempted MURDER of an actress.

The drag queens and dinners sound like fun. You have a crazy/sexy/cool life!