I have a lot on my mind. Since I have become so inconsistent with blogging, I have a lot to share. Work, class, running, JP, Saturday's KICK ASS race, etc. Also, a reflection on this day five years ago is also in order. That will all have to be discussed at a later time. Not that it isn't important, but I have limited time and something more pressing on my mind. Today I went to the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine to discuss a possible nerve block for my pelvic pain. While this may seem unrelated to running, I want to reach out to my fellow running friends for some input.
The evaluation lasted several hours this morning and I stopped by home for a brief moment before headiin to work. Anway... I was evaluated by social worker (I was cleared of depression), talked extensively with a fellow and then spoke with the head anesthesologist. They came with two options for me - medication (which I have already tried) or intervention (i.e. nerve root block). Weighing the pros and cons, I told them that I would be willing to try medication again, only after they reviewed my records to see what the dosage was that messed me up the first time and how the new method would differ. On the other hand, I've been in pain for a long ass time and I want to be agressive with my treatment. They agreed and recommended I do an intervention.
In a nutshell, the procedure would involve a series of three injections - 2 diagnostic and 1 treatment. For the first injection I would be hooked up to an IV and I could be sedated if desired. They would inject an anesthetic into the lumbar of my back (not the spinal cord) and it would be a 30 min. recovery onsite. I'd go home and keep a pain diary for the following 24-hours. They explained the details, which would only put me out for one day. He encourages his patients to go back to work the next day, to see how the treatment is in real world situations, not from laying in bed. We talked about my running, and he was okay with me running the next day. So, I would miss a run the day of the procedure. About a week or so later, I would have the second diagnostic injection. Based on how I responded to the first two injections, it would determine why type of injection I get for my third injection. It could be either a heated-tip needle or steroids. I cringed at steroids and he said they rarely use it. For all injections, they use real-time x-rays to ensure they are hitting the proper nerve.
So, here is my decision. Do I go ahead and get it done now or wait until after Detroit. On one hand, I'm thinking, "hello, what is there to consider? You're in a ton of pain and should jump at a chance of relief. Maybe you can start living pain free again." On the other hand, I'm thinking, "I've busted my ass to get back into shape and there is no way I'm going to risk screwing up my training because of this. I've gone this long, what's another 6-weeks?"
At the same time, both arguments seem completely logical and completely crazy at the same time. I know the decision is mine, but I'd appreciate some input from some runners. After all, only a runner could understand this dilemma.
Well, I need to get to work so I'll post more about the other things going on in my life later. Thanks in advance for your advice!