Monday, November 12, 2007

Food with a Face

Made it safely to LA... We took off about 2 hours late, but at least I was able to sleep on the plane for a bit.

This is random, but kinda funny. Saturday night JP and I picked up Jamaican food for dinner -- we were having dinner with a friend and her mother, who are also from Haiti. This little place is not in the best area of Detroit. I've only been there one other time, but it scares me to go. It isn't the worst place, more of a place were most people would be uncomfortable. However, it scares me. Any place that has bars on the windows is a place where I don't want to be. I said that I knew I was being a snob, but I was okay with it in this case. Give me the west side burbs anyday!

The first time we went, JP parked in front, on the street, so I stayed in (his freaking BMW) while he ran inside to get the food. Right. I thought for sure someone was going to steal me!

Anyway... this place has some unusual items on the menu. Ox tail, goat, etc...

I'm not a true vegetarian. I forget the name that describes me, but I eat seafood and eat/drink dairy. (FYI: chicken and turkey are M-E-A-T). That said, I ordered fish for dinner. Now, the first time I ordered, it was normal fish. Like anyone would get from a resturant. Yeah. Not this time.

I am now totally on board with the vegetarians that won't eat anything with a face. Literally. I opened up my food and there was a, well, fish. Head, tail, everything. I was a little freaked out, but was trying not to let it show because of our friend's mother. I didn't want her to think I was a baby. (It's bad enough she doesn't speak much English and I can't speak any French.)

Everyone was laughing, and JP took my food and cut the head off. He brought it back to the table, but it still had the tail on it. I didn't know how to get the actual food off and must have been looking at it strangely. Finally, our friend's mother came around to my side of the table, and proceeded to cut my food for me. I felt like I was five years old. She was laughing, but I still felt dumb. But... come on. Can you blame me? My food was staring at me!

I love seafood too much, so I don't think this will turn me into a, "no food with a face" diet.

1 comment:

David said...

Eh, some people are scared of clowns. I wouldn't sweat it; you aren't "wrong", and it can be healthier as long as you get the nutrients elsewhere. Though, I eat just about anything except the nether regions of the animals. Or the actual face of anything that can look back.