Friday, May 25, 2007

Relaxing Vacation?

Yesterday's "to-do" list:
- Bake cookies
- Pick up rental car
- Run
- Watch the Piston's game at the bar
- Pack


What I actually accomplished yesterday:
- Pick up rental car
- Watch the Piston's game at the bar
- Started laundry -- can't pack if there aren't any clean clothes

Growing up, my family was the crazy ones that had a rigorous vacation agenda. My mom typically was up late finishing up everything. We usually packed as much as we could into the car the night before and always left at the butt-crack of dawn to get on the road. My dad is an engineer and my mom is a teacher - made for an agenda-filled, learning vacation every summer.

That said, I was a little frazzled yesterday because I wanted everything done so we could leave soon after we both got home from work. I shouldn't have gone to the bar (but SO glad I did ... what a game...) It's a long drive and I'd like to get in as early as possible. JP took me by the shoulders and told me to relax and that we'll get on the road when we get on the road. Obviously, we won't leave at 8 p.m., but there is no need to freak out and think that we HAVE to leave by 3:35 p.m. I literally took a step back and said, "I'm so not used to that. You're right. I never thought about it that way."

He went on to tell me that this is a VACATION and that we are going to relax if it kills us. :) Hmmm... relax on a vacation... I'll have to try that sometime.

1 comment:

Radioactive Tori said...

We had the same kind of vacations when I was younger. The first time I went on a vacation with my husband, I was so confused. Where were the schedules? What were we going to do? He had the right idea...vacations should be about relaxing and not scheduling. I like his way so much better!

Have fun!