Saturday, February 23, 2008

"... snowflakes on my nose and eyelashes..."

... make that FROST on my hat, clothes, nose, eyelashes, hair... Passing guys with facial hair was pretty funny because everything was all white!

It was COLD out there today! After my run, my car said it was 9-degrees. That was 1 1/2 hours AFTER I started. Brrr.... A co-worker convinced me to join her local running club this morning. We met at a nearby metro park at 7:30 a.m. Now, I'm not really against running clubs -- I think it's great -- but I never thought it was something for me. I enjoy running by myself and doing my own thing. But, I went out on a limb and decided to try it.

The people were great and really, really nice. Everyone kinda did their own thing and little packs broke off. I was with one group for a little while, but they started to fall back so I ran a majority of my run by myself. I was pleased with my splits though, especially considering I still feel like I'm in the "getting in shape" part of the training. Splits were:

Mile 1: 9:55
Mile 2: 9:57
Mile 3: 9:57
Mile 4: 9:40
Mile 5: 9:46
Mile 6: 9:59
Mile 7: 10:07
Mile 8: 10:08

I must say the scenery was beautiful. The pretty white snow was glistening in the sunlight and the birds singing was the only sound that early in the morning. Afterwards, the group met at a nearby Starbucks to warm up a little bit. I went and enjoyed everyone's company. I think I'll go again and maybe I'll even become a running club member... :)

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Nice splits!!

David said...

That's a great pace in those temps. I would have had infinity minutes per mile, because my butt would be planted on the sofa, watching Spongebob. Good for you!

Mendy said...

That's awesome splits, ones I have a goal for!!!!