Monday, February 04, 2008

This is why I run



What a fun kick-off to the racing season. A brisk (almost 30-degree) morning run to get the blood flowing the the metabolism racing so you can drink all the beer and eat all the muchies you want during the game. :)
Really, I had a great time. It's been awhile since I've done a 5k, and it was a perfect way to ease back into the running world. I was about a 9:30 pace. Not awesome, but I was shooting for under 10:00 pace so I reached my goal. The roads were cleared and it was an easy loop around a small shopping area. However, there were two hills (ie. two small inclines that I otherwise wouldn't have even noticed as inclines, but my badly out of shape legs were feeling it), which made me realize, "hey, you need to get your butt in shape."
Afterwards, there was pizza, subs and pint glasses. I caught up with a few friends and chatted for a bit. It was so nice just hanging out after a race... gosh, I really missed it! Can't wait for some sort of St. Patty's Day race, I just have to figure out which one I'm doing. It feels good to be back!
Last night, we went to a friend's house to watch the game. His basement is every guy's dream. Movie screen, theater seating (3 levels) with cushy, reclining chairs that even have a cup holder in the arm so you can have your beer close, fuse ball table, bar, popcorn machine, video game systems galore... he has it all. It was beautiful and every 10 minutes JP leaned over to tell me this is what his basement is going to look like. I told him it would be okay as long as I get a room to build a gym for me. :)
Well... better get back to work... Hope everyone is having a good Monday!

No comments: