Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"A lot of cardio"

Today's session was a really good workout. So good, the other trainers were making fun of me for my sweaty shirt. Seriously, I could literally wring it out when we were done.

Started with a warm up on the track. He told me we were going to do, "a lot of cardio." He wasn't kidding!

We did about 2 miles doing a series of things. We did three sets of the following (and each lap below was followed by a timed sprint):

- walking lunges with a 10 lbs. medicine ball
- squats on the wall with the stability ball
- high knees
- butt kicks
- skipping

After that, we went downstairs and did three sets (one right into the other)
- pull ups (12, 10, 8)
- dips (12, 10, 8)
- push ups (12, 10, 8)
- 60 seconds toe taps on the bosu (basically high knees)

Right into three sets of:
- ab work on the bosu with a 5 lbs. medicine ball (20 side-to-side)
- leg lift on the chair (12, 10, 8)
- 60 seconds high knees on the trampoline
- 60 seconds toe taps on the bosu

It was a really good workout. And, I met a trainer that was a former running coach at U of M. When I first signed up with Joe and I told him I was a runner, he told me he would have this trainer sit in on a few sessions with us to help me get back into it. He seemed like a great guy and hopefully he'll be able to give me some good advice.

It's so odd. My workouts have been getting better, but my physical therapy has been getting worse. My pain level has really risen and in new areas. (Scale 1-10: ranged from 6-8, shooting pain on both sides, pain down my left leg) but I seem to be okay while working out. Today, I was having his AWFUL shooting pain down my leg. It did trigger a memory though. Shortly after my surgery, I had the same shooting pain down my leg. I remember being terrified it was a blood clot or something (I don't know if you can actually feel blood clots, but this is what I was afraid of). I don't think I ever remembered to tell my doctor about it at the time. Weird how it came back to me today...

1 comment:

Cara Maria McDonough said...

I've done no exercising this week and I'm not even in pain or anything like that so you've inspired me - big run after work it is!